Let's face it. Teaching is stressful. In so many ways! In fact, teaching brings on the worse kind of stress: chronic stress!
Taking care of a whole classroom of little ones (or big ones) who all need attention and help is pretty draining!
Not to mention testing.
Not to mention all the other things that we are required to do that has absolutely NOTHING to do with children and teaching!
OK, venting is over.
But seriously, here are some of the dangers of chronic stress.
Dangers of Chronic Stress:
1. Chronic stress can cause cravings for sweet foods.
2. Chronic stress leads to excessive fat in the abdominal region.
3. Chronic stress has been linked to back pain.
4. Chronic stress can make a person more likely to have a heart attack or a stroke.
5. Chronic stress can cause hair loss.
6. Chronic stress can cause an imbalance of microorganisms in the gut, leading to digestive problems.
7. Chronic stress can interfere with sexual function.
8. Chronic stress affects hormone production, causing fatigue and inability to handle stress.
9. Chronic stress weakens immunity.
10. Chronic stress causes premature again.
Sounds scary, doesn't it? All is not lost.
There are plenty of things you can do about all that stress!
Strategies for Coping with Stress
1. Identify your stresses!
3. Spend time with friends!
5. Color! (I'm sure you've seen coloring books for adults!)
6. Hug! (Seriously, science proves this helps!)
7. Experience Nature!
8. Religious Rituals!
13. Kiss! (See THIS post.)
14. Listen to Music!
15. Enjoy a hobby!
16. Chew Gum!
17. Laugh more! (See THIS post.)
18. Take a break!
19. Get extra sleep!
20. Express your gratitude!
Good luck taking control of your stress!