A couple of years ago, I learned a fun circle game called "Pass the Clap". My kiddos really love it, and it's got many benefits!
1. It's a nice break from the regular routine.
2. It helps the children learn to work together.
3. It forces them to focus and concentrate on each other, and the game.
4. It's been known to create giggling children.
If you don't believe this last one is a benefit, you'll have to read THIS post about how laughter is healthy!
So here's how to play:
To pass the clap, you must make eye contact with the "clap receiver", then clap.
That person passes the clap to the next person, and so on.
There are a few varieties. We start simple.
1. Pass the clap, one by one, all the way around the circle.
2. Pass it around the circle, then reverse and bring the clap back to the starting point.
My students like to time how fast it takes for the clap to get around the circle. Then we time it again and see if we beat our previous time. (Which usually brings a celebration!)
A couple more variations:
3. Anyone can change the direction! This certainly livens things up!
4. The clap can be passed across the circle.
This last variation really requires focus and concentration, and plenty of team work! The children do rise for the occasion, and it's totally amazing!