My Earth is pretty important to me! It's my home, and it's the home for my kids (both biological and students) and their children. If we make the effort, we can make our Earth and its resources last!
I plan to make the whole week all about protecting our Earth and its resources. Here are some of my plans:
1. Literature! I always use literature whenever I teach a concept. Here are some great books that tell what happens if we don't take care of our Earth: (Click image for a link to Amazon for more information about these books.)
Here are some more books to bring Earth Day awareness:
2. Freebies! Flapjack Education has an awesome video and linky party going on for Earth Day!
Here's the video of many great freebies:
Here's a link to the Earth Day Freebie Linky Party: (Just click the image!)
3. Videos! Speaking of Youtube, there is a wealth of information out there, and some of it is pretty good! Here are a few I've found that are great for Earth Day:
4. Be a Role Model! If you want the kids to do what they can to protect our Earth, you need to show them how! Let them see you reduce, reuse, and recycle! I always warn my students not to use more than their share of paper, not to waste materials, and not to let the water run. They see me being careful about using paper. I even print on both sides whenever I can! If a paper has print on one side, I save it and put it upside down in my printer to use again. We have a recycling box in our class for paper, and save paper scraps, especially construction paper that can be used again on other projects! I also make a point to mention when I see a child being conservative with materials.
5. More ideas! I have a whole bunch of videos, freebies, valuable products and ideas on my April Pinterest Page! Here's what I'll be using next week to tie Earth Day into reading, writing and math in my second grade classroom: (Click the image.)
Here are a couple more Earth Day products of my own, including a couple of freebies!
These Math Story Problems are a favorite! (Click the image.)
This freebie is a song to the tune of Take me Out to the Ballgame! (Click the image.)
Planning on doing some Earth Day writing! This freebie gives you plenty of choices! (Click the image.)
Can you tell Earth Day is important to me?
Happy Earth Week!