I chose to go with a Seacoast Theme for this week, and I'm not sure who had more fun, me or the kids!
We were totally busy, and squeezed in the seacoast theme every chance we could!
Here are a few of the things we did:
1. Towels! We brought in beach towels, and the children sat on them every time we had stories on lessons on the rug. Each day, there were more beach towels and paraphernalia, it really looked like the beach! We even had a couple of "boogie boards" and a child sized beach chair! These came in handy during Independent Reading time, as well. Yes, you guessed it, we read loads of books with the Beach theme!
2. Games! I managed to dig up several games with the beach theme that reviewed important skills we studied this year. Of course, instead of the usual tubs, I picked up some pails and buckets at the dollar store to store the beach themed games. Great stuff! (The games pictured are from Hope King's Beach Bums: A Send-Off to Summer With 8 Literacy Games which you can purchase HERE.)
3. Books, books, and more books! Our wonderful librarian found some great books for us to share! Here are some of my favorites:
4. Floating Boats! This was a huge hit this week, and something I managed to
bribe motivate the children with as they're getting into their "summer mode". We made sailboats out of milk cartons, then today we floated our boats. First, they put their boats in the water, then we added "people" (balls of clay) It was interesting to see how many people they put into their boats without disaster. They were thrilled to bring their boats as well as the "people" home at the end of the day today. We called our bodies of water The Atlantic Ocean, The Pacific Ocean, and the Indian Ocean. We figured the Arctic Ocean was mostly ice and probably wouldn't have sailboats. (Yes, we're finding excuses to squeeze in a bit of geography review as well!)
5. Seashore Theme Unit: We did manage to squeeze in some real learning, mostly in the form of centers. This set has plenty of review materials for my second graders! You can see this unit by clicking the link below or click HERE:
Next Week: We had so much fun, we have declared next week to be Camping Week! I'm open to ideas to tie in academics with camping!