I found a brand new linky at Teaching Trio, and I have a feeling I'm going to be a regular! It's called the Sunday Scoop!
This requires the writer to come up with 3 "have tos", 2 "hope tos", and one "happy to". This is a great idea for Sunday, since teachers are getting their thoughts together for the upcoming week.
Well, here goes my first Sunday Scoop!
The "have tos":
1. It's essential that I finish those running records! Yes, I know I just figured out how to do them on Wednesday and completed 1 on Friday, but I'm dying to start working on increasing those reading skills, so I want them done NOW! We just switched to Fountas and Pinnell Running Records from DIBELS, and right now, I really miss my DIBELS. The Running Records are super time consuming (even more so than DIBELS) and so far I'm not finding any more information than DIBELS gave us. I'm hoping to find them more valuable as time goes by.
2. My kiddos will be doing the STAR assessments this week as well. I've never done these assessments before, and I know nothing about them other than it takes place at the computer and all grades PreK through 5th have to complete them. I can't help but be skeptical about a test that takes place at a computer, since most kids see the computer as a place to play, and don't really take it seriously. We'll work on that this year, and hopefully by the end of the year we'll get a more accurate representation of each child.
3. Since most of my book tubs were ripped, broken, or falling apart, I ordered some beautiful new ones. They came in the other day, but I haven't had time to switch the library around! I'm hoping to do it this week!
1. We started our interactive notebooks in math this week. We have a page for addition and subtraction. I'm hoping to make some pages for what we're studying in literacy: character and setting and writing complete sentences.
2. It probably won't happen much this week, but I'm really aching to get to some REAL teaching!
My "happy to":
It's hard to believe that singing with my group could be any way but happy, since I really love singing, and I really love my group. However, this is not a happy reason to get together. We lost one of our members suddenly last week.
This is a picture of our group, Voices of Distinction. The man in the center, Bruce, is the one we lost. This concert was a few years ago. It was called Voices of Yesterday because all of the songs in this concert were from the past. It was one of my very favorite concerts, and most definitely my favorite costume! (Yes, we had lots of songs from the 60s!) We sing songs with lots of tight harmonies. Want to hear some? There are some recordings HERE.
We will be getting together to sing at Bruce's memorial service. It's happy because I love to sing and I love the group. I've needed to get together with them since I heard the news last Monday.