It's another Friday Five at Doodle Bugs Teaching, and it's been a frenzied week!
You can tell it's been a frenzied week, because I haven't posted ANYTHING all week! I haven't gone that long without posting since I started blogging almost 2 years ago!
It shouldn't be tough to come up with 5 for this week, and here they are!
1. Computer tests! Yes, my students had to take 3 different tests this week in the computer lab. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I took the class down to the computer lab, and we logged them into the system. Then I walked and paced the room for over an hour watching these little second graders work on lengthy tests. On Monday, they had the math test. (I cringed every time the children got to a question that was about something I know we're going to be covering in the next couple of weeks!) On Wednesday, they had the reading test. This was the toughest test. Every question had a passage to read, and each passage was quite lengthy! I walked and paced, did some back rubbing and shoulder rubbing, and generally was the best cheerleader I could be. Finally, they had the Language test today. These little guys were definitely showing signs of wear. They were asking for bathroom trips ten minutes into the test. I continued my "cheerleader" routine for another 90 minutes.
I think the most frustrating part of these tests are that the kids never get any feedback on how they do, and the teachers don't get a heck of a lot of information, either. But I was proud of them. They worked hard and did their best!
2. Schedule Changes! Because of the testing scheduling, I had to rearrange the rest of our lives to fit everything in. I can deal with the changes, but I have a group of little ones who don't deal with change well. The testing took a 90 minute chunk out of our morning, so I had to trim the day in other places. Somehow we worked it all out, but each day was totally different, and that was hard on a few of them.
3. Our First Book Reviews! The children wrote their first book reviews of the year, and they were awesome! I hung copies of the book reviews in the hall outside our classroom, and everyone thought they were spectacular!
4. Academic Fair! Our school had our annual Academic Fair last night. It's a night when the children come back to the school with their families to show what they've been learning. I spent most of the week (when they weren't testing) taking pictures of the kids in various poses, doing various activities, and spent hours in the evenings putting together a Power Point Presentation for the big night. (This explains why I haven't had time to post anything all week!) Although I didn't think the Power Point got the attention I'd hoped, the Academic Fair was an incredible success!
5. Our Class Blog! We started a class blog a couple of weeks ago, and we're all loving it! There are several children who can't wait to write another post for the blog, and they're being more and more careful about how they word their sentences, with their audience in mind. Of course, they still find the little fish widget at the bottom the most interesting part, but they are enjoying having an audience for their writing!
Meanwhile, I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am that it's Friday. It's a dreary, dark, cold, rainy day, but I totally don't even care... I don't have to set the alarm for tomorrow!