Friday, January 11, 2013
Five for Friday
I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching Five for Friday Linky.
Here are five random things about this week!
1. My paycheck is smaller! I know, it's pretty much the same for everyone, and I knew it was coming, but that doesn't make it any easier to handle. I haven't had a pay raise in 5 years, and I've barely been making ends meet as a single mom with a kid in college, but this painful! I'm trying to figure out where I can make cuts in the budget where I wasn't already making cuts in the budget.
2. My kids are showing growth! I've almost finished my January DIBELS for my class and I'm thrilled with the results. They are reading much more fluently, are understanding what they are reading, and can retell the stories they read. I also give a Spelling Inventory 3 times a year, and use that information to drive my spelling instruction as well as my Tier 2 Instruction. (See Words Their Way image for more information about that program.) I'm very proud to say that my students show a great deal of growth as far as their knowledge of spelling patterns and sound patterns.
3. Gratitude Journals are a great success! I started using Gratitude Journals with my students, and the kids are loving them as much as I am. (See THIS BLOG POST.) Today we decided that we'd have Friday as Gratitude Journal sharing day. I'm impressed with what the children have come up with to be grateful for, and even better, their reasoning!
4. I'm glad I had my flu shot! I had 4 kids absent today. Kids have been coughing and sneezing and sniffling. I hope they get some extra rest over the weekend and come back on Monday healthy!
5. I finally added some stuff to my Teachers Pay Teachers store! I added Have a Heart Math Facts Practice (Valentine's Day) and Winter Verbs - Past, Present, and Future. I also Updated my 100 Days Smarter Game, I Have, Who Has... 100? and my 100 Days Smarter song.
Now I'm ready for the weekend! How about you?