Here is a list of children's books I love to read. This is just a small portion of my favorites, but they're so much fun! (Each image is a link to Amazon.)
1. Tops and Bottoms by Janet Stevens I love reading this book in the spring when we're working on our plant unit. Even though it's fiction, it gives the children some information on which vegetables grow above ground and which vegetables grow below ground. Plus, I've always found some great predicting skills happening as the bear and the rabbit continue their "deals".
2. Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes I always read this at the beginning of the school year. So many of the kids can connect to the little girl who wants to be good, but can't. I think it shows them it's OK to make a mistake.
3. Memoirs of a Goldfish by Devin Scillian If you haven't seen this yet, it's adorable! Buy a copy or two, your students will love it!
4. Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag This was the book I wanted read to me over and over when I was a child. I think I loved the repetition. My students still chant along with me when I read it!
5. Jubal's Wish by Don and Audrey Wood This is a heartwarming book about a frog with a selfless wish for his friends to be happy. His wish doesn't come true at first, but don't worry, there's a happy ending!
6. Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch by Eileen Spinelli This book is adorable (and perfect for Valentine's Day!) Poor Mr. Hatch lives a lonely life until he thinks someone loves him. Then his whole personality changes.
7. Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina Yes, this is another book with a repetitive phrase. It's also one where the whole class not only chants along, but physically becomes part of the story. A book with monkeys... gotta love it!
8. The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch Robert Munsch really knows what makes kids laugh. I love all his books, but this is my favorite. It's not a typical fairy tale, it's about a smart princess!
9. For the Love of Autumn by Patricia Polacco This book will warm your heart! Autumn is an adorable kitten of a young schoolteacher. Very, very sweet!
10. Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss Seriously, this isn't just for kids. I gave this to my daughter when she graduated from high school. But the kids love it, too!
I'd love to hear about your favorite picture books!